Mazda3 Forums banner

Trip Computer

65K views 103 replies 37 participants last post by  06Mazda3 Dubai 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just got my car on Friday as I was entering my four month of waiting and I am very pleased.

I was going thru the manual and I noticed that you can get a trip computer (distance to empty etc.) on some models and that you canhave a double locking feature (dealocks??) I was wondering if anyone knew if we can order those sort of parts in from either mazda or overseas??

Would it still be compatable??

Again I am very please with the car.

#2 ·
Hi olb42 - congrats on your new car !

Would you like to add your location to your profile ?

Not sure about your question unfortunately - my SP23 hasn't arrived yet and I didn't pay enough attention during my test drive. So I'm not even sure if my SP23 will have a trip computer, let alone about other models or how to order one.

I'll have a trawl through the other forums and see what I can find as I'm quite interested in this too ...

#3 ·
Did a quick search and didn't find any evidence that any Mz3's in any country have a trip computer (i.e. something with average fuel consumption / instantaneous fuel consumption / estimated kms to empty / etc., rather than just a tripmeter) - may have missed something though

Also check this out
http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=73900&highlight=trip+computer#73900

Have sent Mazda Australia a generic question about can we order accessories for Aussie Mz3's that aren't on the Aussie accessory list - waiting for an answer.

#4 ·
well RedAndBlack,

you will get the trip meters ie trip A and Trip B and an odometer... quite disapointing really.

"average fuel consumption / instantaneous fuel consumption / estimated kms to empty etc" are std on most cars today and helpfull features, wake up mazda you gave us the whistles in looks deptmartment but no bells in functionality... not even a little beepy speed alert thing - that annoy the hell out of me, but saved me from plently of tickets in my mums magna over the last couple of years.

and to make you feel more annoyed, they are std on euro models (i think the manual says :().

have not tryed the double locking feature yet, i think the manual said it was possible to be locked inside the car in an event of an accident? bummer if you forget to turn the feature off?

#5 ·
If you look at the LCD from the right angle the indicators are all there... I reckon that the trip computer is part of the standard system, but just not enabled in the Aussie cars. Maybe there's a mod to get it going, like when you attach a temperature sensor to get the ambient temp display going...

#6 ·
I thought that stuff is only for the auto climate control, but i may be wrong.

BTW, geetee, welcome to the forum... is it true you have an SP23 with 16 inch wheels instead of 17, or is that a typo?

#7 ·
Hi jeffyg, thanks for the welcome. And yes, it is true. My SP23 has 16" wheels. But there is a good reason for that... I do some outback highway driving up here in queensland and I needed a standard tyre size that tyre places would have in stock... Don't want to be stranded in Longreach for three days while I wait for a replacement 205/50R17! The 205/55R16 is standard (and a heck of a lot cheaper) and gives me that much more protection on dodgy outback roads. Plus I got a towbar for the trade-down, so I can carry my mountain bikes.

What I mean by the display is if you look at where the clock is, from the right angle you can see all the trip computer LCD stuff. Now it might be installed into the computer, it's just that Mazda haven't enabled it in Australia (probably see it as cutting into the Mazda 6's domain).

#12 ·
... and that's what I'm implying... It could be that the trip computer is there, it's just waiting for a button press (from a non-existent button) to activate it.

In the Mazda 6, there is a trip button which cycles through the modes of the trip computer. Pressing clock goes back to clock mode. In the Mazda 3, we only have the clock button. Hmm. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Mazda leaves everything available in the car's microcontroller and only activates it by fitting the appropriate part.

#14 ·
I got this feature on my 3.

It's situed on the left of the lcd screen instead of the clock when you push the info button (clock and info button on the left of FM,TAPE,CD ones).

You cycle average cons, instant cons and remaining kilometers (or miles).
The right side of th lcd panel is for all symbols of the auto clim (air entries, speed fan, regulation temp) and besides you can find the ambiant temp that you can show with another button name AMB...

These features (aut clim and trip computer) are include in the 'Elegance' trim level.

#16 ·
Hi Trumf,

In the Australian version we get a Clock & Set button. Our Set button is equivalent to the Info button, but cause there's no trip computer, Set does nothing unless we are setting the clock.

I took out the audio unit last night and checked it out. There's two connectors at the back - the audio connector (which also has a lot of unused signal pins in it) and another connector which had nothing plugged into it. Maybe it's the other connector. It'd be interesting to know what plugs go where in a unit with the trip computer.

#18 ·
Sorry my english level is not high enough...

By 'remote boot unlock function', you mean the electronic device with the key for the opening of the doors ?

In france we have 3 trim level and 3 engines :
1.4 87hp in 'Harmonie' pack with 5doors only
1.6 105hp in 'Harmonie' & 'Elegance' pack with 5 doors only
2.0 150hp in 'Performance' pack in 4 or 5 doors.

So we have low and middle power and engines available, but we have lots of comfort features inside (I got auto clim, trip computer, remote lock system...). In the 'Perf pack', you will find xenon, auto light and auto wipers, GPS, ESP and 17' rims...

But no 2.3 at all !

#21 ·
fiordland said:
I bet you anything that the SP23 has the trip computer disabled in the system ROM and it just needs activation to work.
Why would Mazda do this ? It's not like there's a higher model 3 (in Oz) that *does* have the trip computer that the SP23 would steal sales from if it had a working trip comp ... although I suppose the 6 does have it ...

I really hope you're right though ! :twisted:

#24 ·
its things like this that make me realise just how little information mazda really does give out on these cars and how much we need to scrounge around to get the info.

quite good that most of us did so much research before buying the car, but its darned difficult to get all the bits and pieces isn't it?

#25 ·
malebastard said:
has anyone tried contacting mazda australia regarding this???
Not that I know of - I'll give it a go ...

$5 says I'll get an answer back along the lines of its-not-in-the-aussie-spec-no-real-reason-why-bad-luck-nothing-you-can-do-about-it-even-if-you-do-you-may-void-your-warranty, etc... :x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.